Wednesday, February 08, 2006

the odyssey

Gabriel and I had a risky 3-part errand to run yesterday and I am pleased to report that we made it, with only minimal fuss.
Part 1: Drive to ATM. Too lazy to unhook baby from carseat so carry now extremely heavy infant carrier with our own baby Huey to walk-up ATM. Get cash.
Part 2: Drive to police station. Decide babe-in-arms might charm desk officer into retrieving my background check (yes, background check), and so schlepp baby in. G obligingly slumps against me in the very charming manner of his. Pay $20 cash and obtain report. I have no outstanding warrants in V-town. Yippee!
Part 3: Drive to school. First to Financial Aid. No one there. Next to clinical ed to turn in application for rotation for next year, complete with background check. Suffering delusions that I am competitive, I entertain thoughts of applying for Emergency Medicine residency programs next year. The only way I can even laughingly consider this is to apply for a tryout rotation at various fancy teaching hospitals. So keep your fingers crossed. Back to financial aid, someone there, can't help me. To the bursar I go, nicest woman on campus, but there has been no mistake, I will be getting no student tax benefits for this year. Oh well.
All of this we did and without tears, from either of us. I feel I should get Gabriel a fine token of my esteem. Instead I fed him peas. And, he liked them...

2 Comments:

Blogger jm said...

Good luck with the emergency room stuff. I have no idea what that means.

3:17 PM  
Blogger cmm said...

Nor do I. It seems to be a guiding principle in my life, anyway. If I really had any idea how hard _________ was going to be (fill in blank: Peace Corps, marriage, medical school, having a child) I would NEVER have done it. Yet these are some of the most profound and wonderful experiences of my life. Well, maybe not medical school...

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home