Thursday, January 26, 2006

We did survive

We limped back in to SFO two nights ago, ragged and sniping at each other, me wearing a weepy, bewildered 20lb baby in his bjorn. Good lord. Why do people travel? For fun? For relaxation? The funny part is, of course, that I love to travel. The farther and more frequently, the better. And Gabriel actually handled it all like a champ, obligingly sleeping off the stimulation of the airport madness during each flight. But the being there, the sojourn, that was the truly trying part. For some reason it is much much more exhausting to take care of a baby away from home, away from all the doo-hickies and accoutrements that I use to ditch the kid, I mean, entertain the child, whilst I take a few moments for myself. His mobile, good for a couple 15 minute breaks a day, our ritual cup of tea in the morning: Gabriel in his bouncy seat staring at the light fixture, me reading the funnies. And while grandparents could be seen as the ultimate child entertaining product, I found it nerve wracking when, after a few moments of delight, he would inevitably cry and fuss in their care. Attachment mommy control freak: if my child is crying, I would much prefer that I be holding him! It makes sense in that primal, evolutionary part of the brain only. He seemed to cry a lot more on our trip, whether due to over stimulation and disruption of routine (child after mine own heart), or long brewing ear infection, I can't say. Made me look like the mom of a malcontent and cranky baby, nonetheless. By the time we got to M's parents, Gabriel had really had it. And so had I, frankly, but we soldiered on. M and his father managed to not fight, and I managed to not strangle his mother, despite somewhat veiled references to my weight, my intelligence and my worth as a person. Or perhaps I'm over-reacting.
Bright spots:
--Snow! dressing up the baby in his snowsuit and taking him out to see the stuff. He was game and I was thrilled.
--Movie! saw 'Brokeback Mountain' with M while Grandma, Grandpa and Great-Grandma babysat. Returned with engorged breasts to screaming baby, but fun while it lasted.
--Joy! Gabriel smiling for his grandparents. They are over the moon.
--Food! Eating out just M and me. Spending way too much money on wine, cheese plate, pink drink! for me, and sugar on a stick (for coffee stirring?).
So we made it back. Gabriel's now sucking down the bubblegum pink amoxicillin and I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing with my life. Today anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home