Friday, February 17, 2006

insufferable

Last night after I put lil' G to bed, I went to my yoga class. It is my one escape of the week. Naturally, I both long for and dread it. Long for it because it's fun to sit in a class of grownups with no weeping children, dread it because I am extremely lazy at heart and really just want to curl up on the couch with a book and a glass of wine. Hmm...
In any case, I put on my new periwinkle blue cashmere sweater that I got for Christmas and went. I am not really the cashmere "type" if there be such a thing. But the sweater is lovely and I haven't worn it once since I got it for fear that someone would spit/vomit on it and there would then be dry cleaning/woolite involved. So, to my grown-up class I wear my grown-up clothes. I park my car and saunter down the darkened street. Past the Adult Superstore* with its display window featuring lingerie-clad models, dirty board games and, most interestingly, a pump for increasing width and length. I gather. Though I feel compelled to look every time I walk by, I do it by a sideways glance. I don't want to be accused of, you know, prurient curiousity. Sharing an entryway with the sex shop is a lawyer's office. I do not know what kind of law they practice in there, but I would think twice, myself, personally, before paying anyone in THAT office by the hour. And right next door is the yoga studio, a haven of hardwood floors, gauzy curtains and just a whiff of incense. You know, if I lived in an honest to god city, the proximity of these somewhat disparate enterprises would hardly give me a moment's pause, but it merely serves to underline the oddness of life in this particular suburb. There used to be a big military base here, and has, accordingly, enough tatoo parlors and check cashing outlets to satisfy the most desperate sailor. Now that the base is closed the town is both shabby and tacky. It suits me really, though I have no tatoos.



*why is "adult" the euphamism for sex, I wonder. Adults have sex, I suppose. Adult movies, adult themes. Then you get to "adult education" offered at the community college. It does pique my interest, though I've looked at the catalog and can detect no hanky-panky. Unfortunately.

3 Comments:

Blogger jm said...

Good question about the meaning of Adult. I'm not sure I like being classified as an adult.

ugh, I miss you. I could use a good chat...

10:18 PM  
Blogger cmm said...

I always snicker at "adult education," but this is because I am immature.
I miss you, too. Is your phone number still the same?

10:11 AM  
Blogger jm said...

Yes - same number. I just found out my roommate is getting married! (yeah) and she's selling her house (boo) so I have to move again. ugh.

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home