Saturday, May 13, 2006

A big day for M

Today, M graduates from business school. It has snuck up on us, darting around obstacles such as moving and daycare that have distracted us of late, to pounce on us now, a sunny Saturday morning. M's mom flew in late last night after much ado (she was supposed to come the day before but got sick! But not really sick! Just vomitting her head off because she took her medications on an empty stomach? Good Lord!). M and MIL have driven off to the campus. I will follow when Gabriel wakes up from his nap. After 3 days of sleeping like a human being, last night he "slept" like the infant-of-old. Could he possibly be feeding on my stress? Gee, what a thought?
Anyway, I'm drinking coffee and washing my dress because it smells like mold. That was one of the most heinous things we discovered upon moving. Our old house was incredibly moldy. Not just here and there around the tub, but in the walls and carpets. And in the shoes and clothes. And probably our mattress, but we left it to air in the sun, so are tolerating it for now as we have no money to buy another. SOOOO glad we are out of there. If we can keep the asthma monster away, I will feel like we've won the parenting lottery. Not through our own efforts, but by sheer dumb luck.
So I have a goal for MIL's visit. It is to not freak out and say something I'll regret. Gabriel woke up this morning at the usual time, around 6, and started his babbling and cooing with random shouts and shrieks. I think of it as him warming up for the day. He's usually content to burble for 10 minutes or so, and when I felt like it was approaching the critical moment of no-longer-being-fun-and-where-the-hell-is-this-mom-person-anyway I got up and went into his room. To find Grandma leaning over the crib filled of toys talking to her grandson. Why did this annoy me? Probably because I'm a control freak when it comes to my son. But we have our lovely morning routine, see. I go in and he SMILES and we talk and change a diaper and blow a raspberry or two. When I walked in, he looked to me like, "who is this lady?" He hadn't seen his Grandma for 4 months, and while gamely assuming all was well, he had a distinctly puzzled look. I know, I'm making far too much out of this. It's sweet that she went into him. I probably got to lie in bed an extra five minutes because of it. So I just smiled, changed his diaper and handed him back to grandma. I can do this. I am a nice person. Usually.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home