Monday, September 04, 2006

coxsackie, heh heh

When the blisters erupted on his tongue, I thought to myself, I know what this is. And now I understand why he's been refusing to eat, suck on a binkie or sleep without a real-live nipple in his mouth. Poor baby has a coxsackie virus infection -- and hand, foot, mouth disease. It's not dangerous, just painful and awful if it happens to you or your small one! Oh, and it's contagious, so despite the fact that I'm 98% sure he contracted it at daycare, I'm going to do the responsible thing and keep him home until the blisters disappear. Also because the doctor at the urgent care said to.... She also gave us a prescription for tylenol with codeine which we trotted right out to fill and then gave to poor enfant terrible at the earliest possible opportunity. It seemed to have the unfortunate effect of actually increasing his energy level, but perhaps it was merely relieving his pain, allowing him to cavort around the room on his butt and bent leg, like the crazed 12 month-old mendicant he most resembles.
Anyway, M's taking tomorrow off and I'm taking the next day or two off. I'm looking forward to it, honestly. The ICU, while fine and full of learning opportunities, freaks me out. Sick, sick patients on machines! Families utterly devastated and blaming doctors and people being defensive. Much talk of "denial." Patients dying left, right and center. But not before being "coded," i.e. shot up with all kinds of heart-stimulating drugs and shocked, and CPR'd and augh! I do not have it in me to be an "intensivist," of this I am sure. I am also thinking I have made the correct decision to pursue family practice. Oh, the happy clinic, with the endless office visits of the worried well. Bring it on! I love psycho-social issues! I love knee pain that's been bothering you for 6 months or so. Whew. I am so not hard-core.

1 Comments:

Blogger Desdemica said...

And I am right there with you on the Coxsackie virus. Not fun, not fun at all--you can read my today's blog re: our experience with it. Our babe got sick Friday nite but only kept her out of daycare Mon thru Weds, BTW. It might sound irresponsible, but apparently viral shedding can go on for weeks and some strains of the CS can survive on any contaminated surface for hours. Also, 9 times out of 10 your kid picked it up from an asymptomatic kid who's still happily running around your daycare shedding virus everywhere. The CDC doesn't even recommend exclusion from daycare, unless the child has open sores on hands or is drooling. Anyway . . . . the info probably isn't much use to you now, unless your child is so fortunate in the future as to contract one of the other 15+ strains of this virus :) Good luck and good health!

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home