Sunday, December 18, 2005

what they tell you and you blithely ignore

All right, so having a baby has been a learning experience. No question. When my parents left after the first two weeks, I found myself hoping they'd take him with. I mean, seriously, they don't expect you to, like, take care of this ridiculously helpless creature day and night for the rest of your life! That's just CRAZY!
And that's when I realized that I am not special. I had until that point felt I lived a pretty charmed life. Many things have come easily for me. I have done well in school. I married the man I love. But this motherhood thing, so universal, so seemingly natural that any dumb teenager can accomplish, had brought me to my knees. Astonishing. Humbling. True.
And now that that baby is almost 4 months old, I don't feel like I'm drowning anymore. Just really wet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home