Thursday, December 08, 2005

chlorine lament

It's too cold to swim. I know that those of you in northern climes are like, no shit, but out here we tend to cling to summer a bit too long. Now it's December and though the pool is heated and the wee swim team kids swim late into the night, I just can't bring myself to strip down to a suit in the dark. The thought of my bare feet walking across chilled sodden concrete as the wind whips across the surface pulling steam off in clouds somehow does not appeal. Sitting on the edge as I tuck my hair into a cap before plunging into water that now feels extravagently warm on my feet and tushy is too much for my wimpy soul to bare. I have no Scandinavian blood. I'm all Scottish, German -- my natural inclination is to hole up somewhere with a drink when the weather turns squirrely.

2 Comments:

Blogger jm said...

Hmmm, I guess we'll never get you to return to the land of tundra. Were I to step outside barefoot, I'd be in danger of losing toes. The motor to my car's heater died yesterday - so no heat in the car. It took 2 hours to get the feeling back in my feet. Feel sorry for me....

9:16 AM  
Blogger cmm said...

Man, I do feel sorry for you. Cold feet are hell. I knew I'd gone soft when I started whining "it'll be in the 40s tonight!" I remember taking a walk across the Bald Spot in shorts on the first day it broke freezing. I'm a sad little shell of my impervious former self.

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home