Monday, December 12, 2005

blogger's block

tune in later for something wild and fantastic.

yeah, right.

Not terribly much going on today. Christmas stuff. Wrapping presents to send off to family. Still need to buy a thing or two for M.
Read in the paper that the Christians want Christmas back. Boycotting Target because they're advertising for the "Holidays", not Christmas. Since the Christmas spirit has long since been inextricably bound up with the spirit of wanton consumerism, I don't see how getting Target to acknowledge Jesus is any great victory for those who are upset by anemic "holiday" wishes. I guess if you're spending your money, you should keep Jesus in your heart. Or something.
President scolded for not sending out Jesus-y cards. I asked for Christmas stamps at the post office and got a sheet of the Christ child and mother. Felt too stupid to say, "No really, I meant the snowmen, or maybe even angels." So, even though my cards have very little New Testament about them, the envelopes have been innoculated with the Holy Spirit. Oh man, I'm going to hell, right.
I've never found Christmas difficult to reconcile with a non-devout heart. As a kid, there is nothing confusing about getting presents. And I like good stories, so I dug the whole birth of Christ saga, too, though I've never been to church. All right, I've set foot in a few, and followed a few friends to vacation Bible school. All I really remember of that, though, are craft projects involving popsicle sticks. But Christmas has always made me dewy eyed and sentimental. I am a unrepenent watcher of Christmas specials. Just saw Charlie Brown's: Linus reminds us that Christmas is all about the birth of Jesus, but remember how all the mean kids feel bad for laughing at Charlie, fix up the tree and then sing all together. I love that feeling that goodness and magic are possible. I like lights and I like cookies and I like wishing people merry christmas, or holidays, anything, really. I like the holiday's give us an excuse to move out of our routine: love more, give more, buy more, eat more. And more, sometimes, is more.

1 Comments:

Blogger jm said...

You start out thinking you have nothing to say, but this is a very thought provoking entry. Maybe there is some magic that happens just by showing up to write... you think you have nothing, but you really have something. Something GOOD!

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home