Tuesday, February 21, 2006

long weekend

Well it sure was an exciting long weekend here at chez kazoo. We did our taxes. And because we are poor, we get loads (to us, anyway) money back, which we will squander in our typical manner: food, beer and baby gear. A rare snowfall dusted the "peaks" surrounding the Bay (sorry, I am from Colorado and referring to anything under 12,000 ft as a mountain makes me snicker, just a little. I am a homesick little snob). Still, everyone was in ecstasies to go up and see the snow. We drove up to the east peak of Mt. Tam to find approximately 2 mm of slush remaining under the trees. No matter, this was gleefully scooped up into muddy slushaballs and flung about by every single person with a Y chromosone hiking along the trail up to the top. Fathers, sons, boyfriends. M tactfully demurred as Gabriel is a little too young to play along and would cry, pitifully, if snow melted down his neck. It was a beautiful day, clear with a view across the water into the city. Back at the parking area, someone fashioned tabletop snowmen wreathed in cedar and manzanita. Quite festive really. Last night, M whacked Gabriel's head into the door frame while wearing him in the bjorn. I report this because 1) the child is perfectly fine, though there were tears and a goose egg and 2) when G was 3 weeks old I did the same thing while carrying him in my arms and have felt revoltingly guilty ever since. So now we're even. I'm a petty sort.
And finally, I think Gabriel is teething, really this time. Why? The last two mornings he has vomited on me directly after feeding. Shockingly, copiously, Exorcist baby style, leaving me blinking, soaked to the skin in puke. Only when he's done, instead of the head spinning around, he sticks out his tongue and blows a raspberry. So he's not sick, I'm thinking, just swallowing a bunch of drool, which increases, I'm told, before the teeth poke through. A surfeit of commas, there, I apologize, sort of. Syntax be damned, patch words together with commas, make speech.
Anyway, that's our weekend, in a nutshell. We also tried out highchairs and decided that applesauce is yummy, but there is no drama in that. Thank god.

1 Comments:

Blogger cmm said...

I know. Real mountains do leave a mark, something to navigate by or rest your eyes on when staring out into the distance. I tend to get lost around here -- no sense of direction whatsoever.
Meant to say, I've been enjoying your tales of medical emergencies here and abroad. The lion scalping was particularly vivid. I love it.

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home