Thursday, March 23, 2006

mommy needs a friend

So what's with this girl? Has she no friends?
Well, I do, they just don't have kids. Or at least the ones who live around here don't.
I tried to make friends with a mommy. I did. It just didn't go so well. I feel a little bad about it.
On the outside, it seemed a promising idea. The midwife gave me the number of another woman who'd just had a baby at the Birth Home (sadly now-defunct) who lived in our town. I felt very proud of my socially decrepit self by calling her up. We made a date to hang out. The minute I saw her, I was suspicious, though. Her hair was perfect. Like a blow-dried vision, all swingy and bouncy. I squelched that, though, and made nice. She lent me all of her maternity clothes and we talked about all manner of baby related stuff. We hung out again. Then I invited her and her husband over for a BBQ. Cracks were apparent at dinner, when she started to discuss the fate of her placenta. It was currently residing in her freezer. She thought she might dry it, grind it up and put it into capsules. Ew. I am not easily grossed out, but, ish. It so didn't fit with the swingy hair, which didn't really fit with the whole natural childbirth thing anyway. But I am intrigued by inconsistency and so recovered. We got together once more before G was born. Then I found out she doesn't vaccinate her son. Something of a deal breaker for me, actually. And not really fitting with the driving an SUV while using cloth diapers. I was so confused, my prejudices falling in around me. What happened to my orderly little world?
On the day Gabriel was born, she brought over a massive turkey dinner. And flowers. So sweet. It fed us for the better part of the week and I couldn't be more grateful.
We got together a couple more times. She asked me if I had any ideas about getting a baby to sleep more (ha ha). I think I must have given her an anguished look. With a 4 week baby, I was getting NO sleep. I may have indicated that there was something wrong with her precious babe who was not sleeping through at 8 months. Oops. I just couldn't fathom life on any less sleep than I was getting. I was clinging to the hope that it actually got better. So she found that off putting, probably. Then there was the fact that I was all about natural childbirth but was too lazy to do cloth diapers. What a hypocrite, really.
This is all to say, I am NOT going to call her again. I tried. I did, but you just can't fake chemistry. Also, you just can't forget about placenta pills. Not really.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home