Wednesday, May 17, 2006

an interlude of pure terror

Have not blogged in days. MIL sitting right behind me, but just can't stand it anymore. Can I tell you about a funny thing that happened yesterday? Well, MIL agreed to watch G while I went out to lunch with a friend. Yay! So nice! And when we had finished lunch, I checked my messages (did not hear phone ring!) and found a message marked URGENT. From home. Listened to MIL say something very like G fell and hit his head and I think you should come home right now. Oh my GOD! I called home. No answer. I called M at work. No answer. I called home again. No answer. So S and I raced home at an average speed of approximately 85 miles per hour on clogged freeways, over hills and one congested tunnel to find...Gabriel sitting up on the floor playing with toys smiling up at me and MIL sitting there looking somewhat frazzled but, do I imagine it, ever so slightly triumphant. The real story: G was sitting on the floor playing with a box, lost his balance and toppled over, clunking his oversized melon on the floor. He cried about 5 minutes and then went back to playing. While I'm sure MIL felt bad for baby and was even a little freaked out something might be wrong, I'm really just puzzled by this particular judgment call. Maybe I'm somewhat lackadaisical in safety department, but I'm pretty sure that if I were watching someone's kid and they had an accident involving heads and floors and tears and a swift return to normal, I'd tell the parent about it, but afterwards. And why didn't she answer the phone? "Well, I thought I heard it ring, but when I picked up, no one was there. Maybe I should have tried to call you again." YES! Because in my panic I hung up after 6 rings and envisioned an apartment abandoned for an ambulance ride to the children's hospital.
I'm so so so glad that Gabriel was okay. And I'm glad she's concerned with his cerebral function. I'm just thinking that, "wow, you scared the shit out of me for no good reason, and I can't help but think you may have enjoyed your role at the center of this quasi medical crisis." M took her out for the evening and before she left she said to me, "Do you think you should set the alarm so that if he sleeps longer than a certain time you could wake him up?" Umm, no, no I don't.
Deep breath. The Visit is almost over. And everyone is just fine. Happy happy. Joy joy.

1 Comments:

Blogger jm said...

I love that you wrote about this. THIS is what the blog is for! And you are doing really really well not saying anything you'l regret. The woman needs a little drama. I mean, she'd probably be really excited if she realized say, oh, I don't know, you were possessed by demons. (It's a story line from Days of Our Lives and I can't help but think of it when I think of Catholic mothers in law - don't ask me why) Point is - she should not be allowed to use the phone. She doesn't understand it's power.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home