Sunday, May 21, 2006

sunday jetsam

I am still feeling crazed and unsettled in our new life. I have hope that it will get better. Someday. Soon.
This morning, we went down the street to a very good diner and bakery. Because we are suburban holdouts, we drove. But so did lots of other people. The parking lot was crowded with cadillacs and SUVs. I'm kind of the environmental antichrist. I've totally rationalized all my bad behavior. Today, I thought, the baby's not feeling so hot and will probably fuss after not very long. So let's take the car and maximize baby happy time for when I'm clinging to my coffee cup and stuffing pancakes down my gullet.
Gabriel is getting over a cold and starting to sleep again. I hope. He also has a godawful ugly boil on his leg, and has come to associate his changing table (actually a dresser with a purple bathmat on top) with hideous things like my squirting vile keflex into his mouth and changing the dressing over his oozing, crusting owie. I tip him on to his back and he cries, poor little guy. I don't know how he got the skin infection. It started out as a tiny little bug bite and blossomed into something pretty horrid. A commentary on my housekeeping? It IS the house of filth, you know.
Actually, Gabriel's become extremely opinionated in general the last few weeks. He has decided that he does not like to eat solid food. We had been having such fun at mealtimes, scooping up cereal, sweet potatoes, applesauce, peas. But no more. He went through a period when all he would accept on a spoon were prunes, but then there were a few unfortunate diaper incidents (and one unfortunate carpet incident) and then we ran out. Probably for the best. So he's not eating anything, now. Except breastmilk, of course. He nurses like a fiend.
I'm just blabbing, really. M's on the floor playing with the kiddo and when I get off the computer, I'll have to figure out something constructive to do. Sigh.
I have a class all day tomorrow at school. Advanced Cardiac Life Support, or ACLS because without an acromym, you're nobody. M will be at home alone with Gabriel all day long. For the first time. Send them good thoughts. They'll do great. I will be struggling to intubate a dummy, but they'll do great.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just finished ACLS and that was the most horribly, unnecessarily stressful class yet. Couldn't wait to rattle off the tachycardia algorithm and get home to my two year old. Med school and mamahood are tough but a very rich life too. Glad I discovered your blog! Good luck.

7:53 PM  
Blogger cmm said...

Hey there med school mama! Thanks for writing. I did survive the first day of ACLS with the endless lecture and have to go back tomorrow for the "lab." Grr. It's actually my second time through. The first time, I was terrified that if I didn't remember the vasopressin dose, a patient would expire horribly before my eyes while I bumbled. Now I know that I'll have to fight my way into the room for a code just to stand plastered against the wall, or squeeze a bag, if I'm very very lucky. What a relief!

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home